Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Finishing German 150

I registered for German 150 and German 151 at my local community college. Each class is 5 weeks long, and the two classes together equal one year of college level German. Ich lerne Deutsch so Schnell!

Tomorrow is the last day of class for GER 150, and GER 151 begins next week.

Reflections: The self-study I had done before class was helpful for the first week and a half, then I was just as lost as the rest of the class. I feel like I've absorbed maybe 1/3 of the class material, which is not near as much as I'd have liked. I still struggle to write even a short paragraph in German, and other than learned responses to questions, I don't feel like I could hold any kind of conversation in German. If I lasted more than 2 sentences, I'd be surprised.

My main difficulty is my inability to manage time effectively. My class is 3 hours long, Monday through Thursday. Travel time is 2 hours daily. So usually, 5 hours each day is used for German class. I really need to be spending 3 hours daily studying. If I did that, I think I'd get more out of the class and would improve beyond class material by using self-study resources.

There are so many free resources for learning German that it is hard for me to choose, and I spend too much time deciding which resource to use. My goal this weekend is to decide how I want to spend my study time during this course. I'll decide which resources to use, and how much time to spend with each.

Bis Bald!

No comments:

Post a Comment