Sunday, July 29, 2012

Managing Study Time

Tomorrow I begin German 151 and I have realized that my study habits are sub par. My goal is to reach European Framework level C1 by this time next year, and to accomplish this I need more time in German outside of class.

I'm not the most organized person in the world. Procrastination is my constant companion. Also, I am easily distracted by the many wonderful resources available online for learning German. So, I made a list describing some specific vocabulary I want to learn, and created a study plan to help me achieve that goal.

Competencies:

Tourist German- You know, the basics necessary to do everyday things like go shopping, eating out, taking public transport, asking for directions, etc.

Math- I need to be able to understand a math class in German. I doubt that my college German classes will include vocabulary like Summond, Summe, Subtrahend, and so on.

Computer Science, Chemistry, Physics- I also need to be able to understand subject-are vocab here, as I am not sure what classes exactly I'll be taking during my study abroad. Though I do plan to take science courses.

Keeping the above in mind, I've created the following study schedule for myself. This is only for the duration of my German 151 class, as Fall term will bring a new set of challenges.

8:00am: Arrive at school. Go over previous day's readings/homework, look ahead at today's lessons.

9:00am - 11:50am: German Class

12:00pm - 3:00pm: Study German using the following guidlines:

1 1/2 hour- German class homework/notes review
30 minutes- Pronunciation (via YouTube) or Vocabulary (flashcards, games, quizes)
30 minutes- Write to German penpal
10 minutes- DuoLingo
10 minutes- Deutsche Welle lessons

3:00pm - 9:00pm: Go home, eat supper, do housework, free time.

9:00pm: Go to bed, listen to Michel Thomas German lessons for 1 hour before sleep.


My daughter is going to be gone for all but 4 days of this class term, which is the reason I can spend so much time studying. Obviously, on the days she is home I'll forgo most of the study time and just complete class work.

No comments:

Post a Comment